The Inn at Valley Farms is located just 3 miles south of the charming village of Walpole . Situated in the southwest corner of New Hampshire, we're close to numerous activities and attractions in New Hampshire, Vermont and Massachusetts.
Many of our guests say they can't even think about eating after enjoying one of our three course farm-to-table breakfast, but just in case...
A short drive:
Bellows Falls, VT Area:
Keene, NH Area:
Port Authority Cafe (serving our 100% grass-fed beef)
Brattleboro, VT area:
So Much to Do on Your Family Vacation in New Hampshire
There's plenty to do right here at the Inn! Take some time to tour our 105-acre organically managed farm and see sustainable farming practices first-hand; visit our on-site farm interpretive center; help with the chores; collect still-warm farm fresh eggs from our hen house; peruse our extensive vegetable, herb, and perennial gardens; walk our woodland trail; or simply relax in the tranquil, bucolic setting. If you're after more adventure, our inn makes a great “home base” while exploring all the region has to offer.
Listed here is a sampling of our favorite local activities. Our library is full of guidebooks, brochures, gazetteers, and maps for use during your stay to help you discover even more area treasures in the Monadnock Region, including Mount Monadnock, golf courses, hiking trails, farmers' markets, state parks, theaters, special events, the best places to find great local food, and more.
An idyllic spot for a memorable family vacation in New England, The Inn at Valley Farms is located just 3 miles south of the charming village of Walpole. Situated in the southwest corner of New Hampshire, we're close to abundant activities and attractions in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Massachusetts.
Right Here in Walpole: So much to explore, so little time... (be sure to plan plenty!)
- Walpole Valley Farms' Farm Store: Carrying a wide variety of our own 100% grass-fed and pasture-raised meats. Open Saturdays 10-am-3pm year round or anytime by appointment. Frozen in portion sized packages and can easily be packed for travel.
- Alyson's Orchard: More than 200 varieties of already picked and pick-your-own fruit including blueberries, peaches, pears, plums, nectarines, cherries, grapes, heirloom apples and amazing views all within walking distance from our Inn.
- Burdick Chocolates: World class chocolate, an upbeat, chic café and fine French style dining emphasizing organic, wild caught, and locally grown provisions. Outdoor seating during warmer months. Some of the best chocolate frappes and hot chocolate anywhere!
- Walpole Grocery: A small specialty grocery store in downtown Walpole carrying a wide selection of local foods. A great place to grab provisions for a quick lunch or light dinner.
- Walpole Artisan's Cooperative: A collection of fine arts and craftsmanship from area artists.
- Walpole Creamery: Wonderful flavors of award-winning homemade natural ice cream made with our neighbors’ cow milk. Visit their scoop shop just north of town.
- Boggy Meadow Farm Cheese: Makers of a variety of fine cheeses. Honor system retail store at the farm or cheeses available at the Walpole Grocery in downtown Walpole.
- Walpole Mountain View Winery: Fine estate wines exclusively from locally grown grapes. Wine tastings Fridays 5-7pm, Saturdays 12-5pm and Sundays 11-4pm (Memorial Day through Christmas or by appointment).
- Ruggles and Hunt: Collection of unique gifts for everyone on your list.
- Walpole Historical Society: Open Wed & Sat 2-4pm in June and October or by appointment.
- Hooper Golf Course: Picturesque and challenging 9-hole course.
- Local dairy farms: Several of our neighbors welcome visitors during milking time.
- Swimming: Unique swimming holes in local rivers and lakes - one of our favorite summer activities! Ask us for a list with directions upon arrival.
- Hiking: Numerous conservation areas for hiking and exploring, many with views. Ask us for our favorites!
- Band Concerts on the town common every Sunday evening in July and August 7:30-8:30. Homemade pie available by the slice (sells out early!). Bring your own blanket or chair or borrow ours. Free.
Favorite’s of the Young at Heart:
Friendly Farm, Dublin, NH - Spend the day with a variety of farm animals, picnic on the grounds. Open daily 10-5 Late May through Labor Day then weekends through mid-September weather permitting.
Retreat Petting Farm, Brattleboro, VT - Another great place to spend the day up close and personal with farm animals of all types. Much is undercover so comfortable to visit rain or shine. Open Wednesday-Saturdays 10-4, Sundays 12-4 Memorial Day to Columbus Day.
Billings Farm, Woodstock, VT - One of the finest working dairy farms in America along with an agriculture museum with a variety of exhibits and presentations. Cows, calves, work horses, sheep and chickens. Regular events and activities.
Stonewall Farm, Keene, NH - A working farm and education center open 365 days a year. Watch cows being milked daily at 4:30pm. Farm stand. Hay rides/horse-drawn sleigh rides.
- Crescendo Acres, Surry, NH - An alpaca, miniature horse, and maple syrup farm welcoming guests year-round. Farm store with local products and periodic on-farm events.
For the More Adventurous Guests:
Monadnock Aviation, Keene, NH: Have you always wanted to learn to fly? Take a foliage or scenic flight? Monadnock Aviation offers a range of affordable options.
Morningside Flight Park, Charlestown, NH. Offers hang gliding, paragliding, ultralights, ziplining, outdoor laser tag, and kayaks for rental with instruction.
North Star Canoe Rentals, Cornish, NH. Full service canoe and kayak rentals with shuttle included. Closed Tuesdays.
- Vermont Canoe Touring Center, Brattleboro, VT. Rent canoes, kayaks and/or tubes for a few hours or the whole day. 802-257-5008.
Museums for All Ages:
- Horatio Colony Museum, Keene, NH. 1806 Federal house with original furnishings just as when the family lived there. Free admission.
- Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory and Museum, S. Deerfield, MA. Butterfly conservatory and gardens.
- Mariposa Museum, Peterborough, NH. Exhibits, workshops and performances from the world's cultures and folklife.
- Montshire Science Museum, Norwich, VT. A hands-on science museum for all ages.
- Saint Gaudens National Historic Site, Cornish, NH. This National Historic Site was the home, studio, and gardens of Augustus St. Gaudens, one of America's greatest sculptors.
- Southern Vermont Natural History Museum, Marlboro, VT. One of New England's largest collections of native species along with live animal exhibits, ecology, geology and natural history exhibits.
- The Fort at No. 4 Living History Museum, Charlestown, NH. Authentically reconstructed settlement/living history museum from the 1740's with regular events and reenactments.
The Nature Museum at Grafton, Grafton, VT. Hands-on natural history museum for all ages.
Covered Bridges: Worth seeking out one of these iconic symbols of New England.
- Green Mountain Flier Railroad: Bellows Falls, VT. Train rides through the picturesque Green Mountains especially beautiful during foliage season.
- Green Mountain Spinnery, Putney, VT. A worker-owned cooperative woolen mill producing high-quality yarns with environmentally preferred practices. Tours available.
Walpole has numerous conservation areas for hiking and exploring, many with views. Ask us for a list with directions.
Chesterfield Gorge State Park, Rt. 9, Chesterfield, NH.
- Madame Sherri Forest, Chesterfield, NH. Innkeeper's favorite.
- Mount Monadnock, Jaffrey, NH. This 3,165 ft. peak is the most climbed mountain in North America.
- Pisgah State Park, Winchester, NH. This 13,668 acre woodland is the largest state park in New Hampshire.
- Pitcher Mountain, Stoddard, NH. Fairly short hike with amazing 360-degree views and little traffic. Wild blueberry picking in August. $1/quart PYO.
Music and Theater:
Apple Hill Center For Chamber Music, Nelson, NH. A center for high-level classic music performance and teaching for students of all ages and abilities.
- The Colonial Theater, Keene, NH. An historic performing arts center offering regular live and filmed events.
- Peterborough Players Summer Theatre, Peterborough, NH. Professional live summer theater.
- New England Youth Theatre: Thetare training and performance venue for youth in New Hampshire, Vermont and Massachusetts. Great productions open to the public.
Sleigh rides: Winter is the perfect time to get cozy under warm wool blankets as a team of Belgian horses pulls you through the snow covered trees and fields of Stonewall Farm , Keene, NH
Indoor skating with heated viewing room at Cheshire Ice Arena, Keene, NH or in Brattleboro, VT.
Skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing, snowshoeing and more at Granite Gorge in Keene, NH (ask us for a buy-one-get-one-free coupon available to Inn at Valley Farms guests) or try Grafton Ponds in picturesque Grafton, VT.